Sunday, March 25, 2012

Get to Know the Artists


Another great Wednesday has come and gone and we have plenty of great new art to show for it! This week WAW was at Rita's house where she made hearty lasagna paired with a green salad with jicama, nuts, and dried fruit by Joan, roasted veggies by Donna, spicy olives that make you cough, ciabatta bread, and finished off with more great Greek cookies from Melanie. In WAW world, WTF really stands for "Where's The Food?" so this week did not disappoint.











We covered everything from the slimming powers of Spanx shapewear, where to buy roasted duck, what is the most addictive drug, and all the other crazy thoughts bouncing around our brains. I would not want to be the recycling collector this week because we made a considerable dent in a considerable number of wine bottles.
 
We also decided to do something a little different with the blog and give you a chance to get to know the ladies or WAW through artist profiles. Each week we will feature a different WAW artist so you can learn about the inspiration and personality behind the artwork. Up first this week is me, Gina Caldwell, how great!
 
A little bit about me, I am a recent grad of Fairfield Univeristy where I studied communications, Asian studies, and sociology and spent my free time being a crazy environmental activist and part-time choir nerd. I just started a new job doing market research for financial companies but in my spare time I love making huge delicious messes in the kitchen as an aspiring chef, playing with fun kittens, and hanging out with crazy artists.
 
Inspiration:
-I love art featuring food because it is easy to relate to and fun to create. Eating is great and looking at delicious paintings won't make me fat!
-It's also very inspiring to work with such great artists so it pushes me to make my paintings more dynamic to keep up with them (especially Audrey who churned out painting after painting this week before anyone else had even picked their paint colors)
 
Favorite Etsy Artists:
Ellen's Originals-she is a local artist from Hamden, CT who does amazing pressed botanical art. I found one of her Queen Anne's Lace on velvet pieces in a store in Hamden and it made a perfect Christmas gift because it looks like a beautiful snowflake.  http://www.etsy.com/shop/EllensOriginals

HammerandI-This guy is all over my Christmas list! He makes starburst mirrors using the handles of flatware and I think they are so unique and beautiful. http://www.etsy.com/shop/HammerandI

LitaDesigns- And of course I have to include Lita jewelry since half of my jewelry collection was made by her! And I'm not just partial because my cute face can be found modeling a few of her designs....http://www.etsy.com/shop/LitaDesigns?ref=ss_profile (if the link doesn't work just search "Lita Designs" under shops. 

 What I'm cooking now:
-Baked brie is the new love of my life appetizer! It is surprisingly easy to make and very impressive looking. I've used this recipe http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/party-starters/baked-brie-recipe/index.html before and it comes out rich and delicious and will make you look like a kitchen superstar.
 
What I'm Reading:
-Omnivore's Dilemma- a really important look into what we eat for dinner and how today's food production system has influenced us to eat some pretty questionable things.
-The Hunger Games (on audiobook)- I couldn't resist the hype!
 
So tune in next week to learn more about another great artist and look for the new paintings up on Etsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment