Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Tablecloth





This week the typical Wednesday was a late night Friday wine and painting get together at Donna’s house. This week’s conversation topics ranged from high school flour babies, to paint over or not to paint over unsatisfactory paintings, conceptualizing custom art and new WAW locations and inspirations. My background is not in anything remotely resembling art, but instead behavioral biology, marine science, ecology and what have you. My best friend, Gina, and her mom, Rita, introduced me to the WAW girls and they have helped me become a bit more in tune to my creative side.

One of the best parts of this weekly meet up is the fact that I am challenged to think and work beyond what I normally do. This week was no exception. Joan explained to me the match-game that is involved with art. The way she described the relationship that one has with their art can sometimes lead to needing to step away from the piece you were working on and coming back to it later on. As you forget the ideal you have created for your painting you are left with the art itself without the preconceived notions. Appreciate the creative process for what it is and forgetting what it “should be”. 

"Paint Your Colors!"-We often end up painting to match our outfits


Personally, my inspirations are just all over the place, I’ll be honest. I love making lists, so I have compiled a short list of my top inspirations for not just art at WAW, but also for style, home décor and general everyday living!
-    -Yellow. My absolute favorite color and something that makes me smile
-    -Open air organized bookshelves, When I have my own house I am going to have a kitchen and library like Donna’s. It looks like a perfect cutout from a Williams Sonoma catalog.
-    -Cardigans and dresses, I own more dresses than a J.Crew store. I swear. Ask Gina.
-    -Science. Perhaps you may have expected this one, but it really does. Ecology, behavioral biology, marine science, all of it. Oh and while I am add it, I would like to add David Attenborough, Sylvia Earle, Kate Spade and Emily Post.
-   -Entertaining. Whether it is for afternoon tea, a date in library for studying, a proper dinner or a Stella after work. Since moving home from Salve, I almost never turn down an opportunity to meet up with the people that I love.


I am currently reading:
-          The Stuff That Never Happened, By: Maddie Dawson
-          The New York Times. My paper of choice. Nothing else will do.
-          Smithsonian Field Guide to the Birds of North America, By: Ted Floyd.
For my new job at The Audubon Society I bought a field guide that comes with a 587 bird call DVD. http://smithsonianbirdsofnorthamerica.com/

A Few Stores I Follow On Etsy:
-     MilesOfLight
Modern Nature & Botanical Photographic Prints
I could literally buy everything in this shop. It captures everything I love nature and simple beauty.
-     CritterVille
Sculpture that loves you back
Take a look at this little guy! The behavior of each animal comes alive: http://www.etsy.com/listing/95177189/sprightly-mouse-bronze-sculpture-7-and-a
-      focuslinear
Original Rustic Modern Paintings on Reclaimed Wood
I love everything about his work. One day I will buy a set and use them as a headboard or above my couch.

Take a look at the pictures from this week’s WAW and the new paintings up on Etsy!

Art in progress

An empty bottle? It wasn't us!

Flantastic!



But wait, there's more....
Check out Joan's sauerkraut recipe!

1 lg. bag sauerkraut, rinsed extremely well and drained.  3 stalks celery, strings removed and sliced very thinly, 1 shallot sliced thin (or scallions) , 1 red pepper (or green, orange, yellow) sliced thinly.   Mix approximately 1/4 cup sugar to any type white vinegar, equal amount, until dissolved, taste, add olive oil to your preferred ratio, whisk, taste, season with black pepper.  Pour over sauerkraut mixture.  Works great in large ziplock, and let sit for at least a day, can be made a couple of days in advance.  Toss bag to distribute sauce every time you open fridge door.   

No comments:

Post a Comment